We all know how important it is to attract bees to our garden. In fact, I’ve recently written an article about this. But, once you’ve attracted these lovely little pollinators, you want to ensure that they stay. One way to do this is to install some bee houses either in a tree or on a fence. This will give the visiting bees somewhere to rest and nest.
While it is possible to make these yourself, not everyone is handy with tools or has the time to do this. For this reason, I’ve done some research to find quality bee houses or hotels that you can buy.
I’ve tried to find a range of different designs so that there’s one that will suit your garden and your personal style. Some of these bee houses are quite simple and unobtrusive, while others are far more elaborate and can be a design feature in your garden.
*This website is reader-support so this post may contain affiliate links for which I earn commissions.*
This bee hotel is made from natural and premium materials. The paint is non-toxic and odourless. Plus, the bee house is weather-resistant. Each grid of the bee house is filled with different materials and designed to accommodate more species of insects, including bees, butterflies, ladybirds, and lacewings.
- Attracts beneficial insects that help pollinate plants and recycle decaying vegetation
- Diverse rooms with different materials and designs to accommodate more species of insects
- Premium, sturdy, and weatherproof made of high-quality fir wood with exquisite workmanship
- Smaller than expected
- Some bamboo tubes are loose and need to be secured
This handmade natural bamboo bee hive is constructed with high-quality materials and offers a beautiful aesthetic.
- Attracts bees to your garden and enhances pollination productivity
- Provides a bee habitat and creates a safe environment for native pollinator bees
- Handmade natural bamboo bee hive with high-quality construction
- The bee house lasts about two years before needing replacement
- The product may not fit all garden aesthetics due to its hexagonal shape
Nature’s Way Bee House is the perfect addition to any garden looking to attract beneficial insects. Its easy-mount hanger and durable pine wood make it a great investment for any gardener. Plus, the different sized holes will be attractive to a range of solitary bees.
- Attracts gentle solitary bees that can pollinate up to 20x that of honeybees, improving the health of your plants.
- Easy-mount hanger makes it simple to hang in your garden.
- Made of sturdy pine wood, ensuring its durability.
- Bamboo tubes may fall out over time.
- The colour may fade over time.
This bee house is versatile and easy to set up. This makes it a great choice for both beginners and experienced gardeners.
- Efficient pollination with mason bees
- Promotes plant health and biodiversity
- Sustainable and eco-friendly
- Not waterproof
- Sawdust may need to be removed
This bee house might be small but it’s a great start if you want to attract some bees to your garden. Plus, it offers an educational experience for you to teach your kids about the lifecycle of the bees. Remember that solitary bees don’t sting. Therefore, this could be a great educational resource for you.
- Safe for children and pets.
- Educational and interactive.
- Beneficial and beautiful.
- The house is small and may not accommodate many bees.
The Wildlife World Mason Bee Barrel is a quality, eco-friendly, and easy-to-use bee house that enhances the productivity of your yard and attracts bees. To get the best experience, place the bee house above the ground in a warm, south-facing position, ideally near plenty of nectar-rich flowers, plants, and trees.
- Made from durable, FSC-certified timber and sturdy metal hangers.
- Attracts mason bees to the garden which are beneficial for the pollination of flowers, fruit, and vegetables.
- The charming, attractive barrel design looks great in the garden and can be mounted on a wall or tree.
- Check the tubes as some may be cracked.
This bee house is made of natural wood and is easy to install. It can provide a comfortable habitat for bumble bees, butterflies, and ladybirds.
- Appropriately sized for solitary native bees
- Waterproof and weather-resistant wax coating
- Durable construction with solid sturdy wood and 304 stainless steel screws
- The cardboard tubes may need to be replaced.
The Gate 35 Bee Hotel is made from eco-friendly materials and offers a safe place for bees to rest, hibernate, nest, and lay eggs. However, you should keep an eye on this if you experience a lot of wind because the tubes may fall out. Hence, try to position it in a protected spot.
- Eco-friendly materials used in construction
- Makes a great gift for nature lovers
- Tubes and cones may fall out during high winds
This bee house is designed specifically for 140 species of bees, including mason bees and orchard bees. It features nesting tubes of varying diameters to attract different species of bees. Additionally, it has approximately 75 tubes that are all over 4 inches long. These provide plenty of depth for each pollinator to lay its eggs and for the larvae to mature.
- Attract and protect more native bees with this mason bee house designed specifically for 140 species.
- Environmentally friendly, hand-crafted from FSC-certified wood and sustainable bamboo.
- This bee house will only last only 1-2 seasons.
- Some customers have reported issues with durability after heavy rain.
This bee house is made from high-quality natural pine and bamboo. It has an extra edge of 0.6 inches around the tower to provide additional rain protection.
- Provides a safe environment for native pollinator bees
- Boosts the blooming of your flowers in the garden
- May not attract all types of bees
- There are no instructions
Frequently Asked Question
For the best experience, position your bee house in a south-facing location that receives plenty of sun and is relatively warm.
Bee houses commonly attract solitary bees such as mason bees. As these bees are cold-blooded they do appreciate you placing the bee house in a warm spot.
Ideally, you want to hang a bee house at least 3 feet (90 cm) above ground level. Make sure that the holes are facing either east or south to attract the sun.
We all know that it’s important to look after our native bee populations so that they survive and thrive. Adding a bee house to your garden is one way that you can keep the bees safe and coming back to pollinate all your flowers.