When it comes to purchasing pruning tools it really pays to buy the best that you can afford. Consequently, a good quality pair of Felco pruning shears or secateurs will last you many years especially if you look after them.
Why Good Pruners Are So Important
I have a pair of Felcos which I purchased when I was doing my Associate Diploma in Horticulture way back in 1993 and they’re still going strong. When I first finished my Diploma I worked in propagation for a number of years and used to produce at least a couple of hundred cuttings a day. Back then I was paid piece rate and so the more I could produce, the more I was paid. Additionally, not only did I have to cut the plant material to size and reduce some of the leaf growth but I also had to take a small sliver off the bottom of the stem to make rooting easier.
As you can imagine, it’s absolutely necessary to have a sharp, reliable tool for this kind of intricate work.
*This website is reader-support so this post may contain affiliate links for which I earn commissions.*
Here’s a photo of my trusted secateurs and yes, they do need a good clean, but they never let me down!
So, let’s look at some of the features and benefits of these pruning shears:
Features Of The Felco Pruners:
- Firstly, the blades are made from strong, high-quality hardened steel.
- The forged aluminum handles are lightweight and fit very nicely into the hand.
- Also, the blades include a wire-cutting notch.
- They’re easy to lock and unlock using just your thumb.
- The pruners come with a limited lifetime warranty.
- There’s a manually adjustable center bolt for aligning the play between the cutting blade and the anvil blade.
- They’re available in different models to suit small or large hands and also available for left-handers.
- Additionally, replacement parts are available including blades and springs.
The Main Benefits Of These Pruners:
- Firstly, the blades won’t break, bend or warp and stay sharp for a very long time.
- Because the handles fit so well into your hand there’s less chance of cutting fatigue and they feel so comfortable to use.
- Additionally, there’s a sap groove that prevents the blades from sticking and means you don’t have to keep stopping to clean your shears if you’re cutting particularly ‘sappy wood‘.
- Plus, there’s no need to carry a separate wire snip while out in the garden.
Now let’s look at the different models available:
Felco F2 Classic Pruner
Best All-Round Pruners for Everyday Use
These are the basic Felco pruners that you might want to start with. They have a standard anvil blade with a sap groove.
The blades are made from toughened steel and there’s also a wire cutter groove which is quite handy.
These secateurs are suitable for all types of pruning and fit comfortably in your hand.
Felco F5 Pruners
Best Pruners for Beginners
These basic Felco pruners have a narrow anvil blade made from hardened steel. This allows you to cut branches closer to the trunk of the tree or shrub.
The handles are made from forged aluminum. The pruners are well-balanced to sit comfortably in your hand.
Felco F7 Pruners
Top of the Range Felco Pruners
These ultra-durable Felcos have a soft comfortable handle and are particularly suitable for larger hands. The handle is revolving for better ergonomics and shock absorption.
The blades are made from hardened steel and, like all Felco pruners, are replaceable. There’s also a wire cutter and a sap groove so that the pruners don’t get gummed up.
Felco F9 Pruners
Best Left-Handed Pruners
The Felco F9 pruners are specially designed for left-handed people. They have forged aluminum handles and hardened steel blades
The handles can be rotated and feature ergonomic shock absorbers for extra comfort. There is also a wire cutter and a sap groove.
Felco F160S Pruners
Best Comfort Pruners
The F160S pruners feature composite fiber handles for extra comfort. They also have hardened steel blades.
These secateurs are suitable for all types of pruning and all parts are replaceable. They also have a wire cutter and a sap groove.
Felco Rose Pruners
Best Pruners for Rose Growers
These Felco pruners are specially designed for people who grow and prune roses. They have a special blade attachment that will hold the stem after you cut it. This makes cutting and pruning roses so much easier and safer and means no more thorns getting stuck into your fingers.
How They’re Made
For those of you who like to see how things are made here is a video from Felco showing their production and the amazing machinery they use in the manufacture:
How To Maintain Your Pruners:
- Most importantly, wipe down with a soft cloth dampened with warm, soapy water after each use.
- For more thorough cleaning you can use methylated spirits which will also help to disinfect them.
- Additionally, after your secateurs are completely dry you can apply a little oil to the blades. And, you can purchase special Felco lubricant spray or just use vegetable oil or sewing machine oil.
- Also, you can sharpen the blades with a sharpening stone or you can even replace them if they have any damage.